Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Welcome to Cougarville - It's just like anywhere else!



Okay, I'll admit it - I finally entered cougar territory.  My first. There was one other time I dated way younger, but when you're 30 you're not considered a cougar yet.  And I felt young enough to not feel too weird about it.  13 years, two kids and a divorce later kind of age you a bit! The age difference this time is about a decade. That's all I'm willing to admit in a blog!

So, he's someone I've know and flirted with for a few years, but it's strange to suddenly shift into dating mode after casually knowing someone for a while. He's a very sweet guy, hard working, great sense of humor. I'm just quickly learning to not mention things that happened more than a decade or so ago, nothing ages you quicker!

Even with the age difference, dating in this world of Cougarville is seriously just like dating someone my own age. (Which is what I usually do, give or take a year.) There's still that trying to distill your life story into quick, polite dinner talk. There's that, my god will he ever ask me a question about me thing. Which I'm sorry guys, you're all really horrible about. Would it kill you to shift the focus from you once in a while?  Don't worry, you won't lose your man card  if you take a moment to get to know us - we promise!

There's also that great, electric anticipation of the first kiss.  I would say that's one of the best things about being single again, being able to truly appreciate how great that is!  But then there's the dreaded waiting period.  The "will he call/text/email me?" The "should I call/text/email him first?" After all, I'm the older, more experienced one - maybe he's intimidated by a strong, independent woman and I should make the first move. That soon shifts into the "screw him, he's lucky I went out with him. I don't care if he ever calls/texts/emails me!"  Which is partial bullshit, by the way...

All of that is just the same, no matter the ages of either party involved.  Why is it so hard for a guy to contact us soon after the date?  We don't think you're needy, clingy or pathetic - honest.  It would be a refreshing change that we'd welcome!  It took him three days and all I got were two text messages.  I swear, I don't even know if all this is worth it. I have much more fun and less long-term stress just hanging out with my kids.  And no stress and all fun when I'm with my girlfriends.  Yet I keep going back for more. 

Just because I'm older, it doesn't mean I'm any wiser ...

No comments:

Post a Comment