Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Personality Goes a Long Way

As Samuel Jackson's character in Pulp Fiction so eloquently puts it, "Personality goes a long way." Even though he was talking about pigs, the same holds true for humans. And dates.

Needless to say, I had a really nice date last night with someone new. I thought I was on a self-imposed dating hiatus (albeit a brief one) until he emailed me. I've relearned that a great sense of humor is seriously one of the best aphrodisiacs there is. Not that he wasn't good looking - he was. Not that he wasn't smart - he was. I truly believe you have to be smart to have a "real" sense of humor. If not, you're entering the American Pie world of comedy which just isn't for me ...

I'd forgotten how much I enjoy that charged back and forth banter when you're with someone whose company you enjoy and that can actually pull their weight in the conversation. And I'd forgotten how much fun it is to laugh with someone like that. It seems that lately it's been just Cole and Ella that manage to really get me laughing. Not after last night.

The other plus of the evening was being with someone who wasn't guarded. For better or worse, I don't even know how to be guarded. That filter has always been missing for me - the one that stops many people from sharing personal things about them to almost complete strangers. It was nice being out with someone of a similar disposition as far as that goes. There's a wonderful sense of intimacy that accompanies that. Fingers crossed.

So, needless to say (or maybe it is needed, since I'm taking the time to write this!), the world of online dating has been kinder to me this go-around. Hope I'm not shooting myself in the foot stating that publicly. But so far no requests for threesomes or emailed photos of private parts. Instead I've met someone that knows how to make me laugh. Sometimes it's that simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment